Tuesday 8 October 2013

Marks & Spencer - 6 All Butter Mince Pies

Marks and Spencer mince pies are a firm favourite of the blog. Whenever I have a craving for a good mince pie around this time of year, M&S are on hand to ensure that my needs are fulfilled. Last year saw their inconsistency loose them a few marks. Lets hope this year is different.

Presentation - 7


I have to say, M&S know their design. They can take something inherently simple and make it look elegant. They are using the same colours as everyone else at this time of year, but they still manage to make it inviting while maintaining their upmarket foods status. I like the use of the baubles rather than the usual Christmas trees or sprigs of holly.

On opening this box, I did have a little chuckle to myself when I saw the lop sided mounds on each pie. They are so large, I almost went looking for my hiking equipment, but then realised I don't actually have any. Other than this, they look nicely baked all around.




Nutritional Content & Price - 8

Fairly standard again at 230 calories, 24.5g of sugar and 8.5g of fat. The price was £1.79 for a box of six, which seems about right for M&S mince pies. You still feel you are getting value for money as the quality of their pies are generally quite good.

Pastry - 29

This is lovely. It is perfectly baked all around and just the right thickness. The shortcrust pastry oozes butter. It is flavourful and not too sweet, despite the generous helping of sugar sprinkled on top. There has been a very slight absorption from the mincemeat at the bottom, but not enough to affect structure or texture.


Mincemeat - 30

I could eat this on its own, out of a jar! The fruit is plentiful and quality. At just a look, you may think that it may be a little dry, but the vine fruit are actually juicy; just like it says on the box. The taste is different from your usual mincemeat. I was forced to refer to the ingredients list to try and work out what I was tasting. Other than the orange, lemon, cinnamon and brown sugar (which you can all taste), I found black treacle. I do not think I have had black treacle before, but as I cannot put my finger on what it was, I can only assume it is this. Whatever it is, it works, and goes really well in this mince pie.

Overall Satisfaction - 9

Finally, a quality mince pie! I had high expectations from Marks and Spencer, and they did not disappoint. In fact, they may well have exceeded my expectations. Their mince pies are delicious and I can only expect them to get better, warmed and with some cream. I've been liberally sharing my mince pies around the office so far but I shall be swatting away many hands the next time I have a box of these with me.

Here are the scores from my fellow Mincers. 

Tester 1 
Presentation (6) Nutritional content & Price (6) Pastry (28) Mincemeat (28) Satisfaction Level (8)
"A very delicious pie with a simple look relying on the delight within! Good work M&S."
Tester 2
Presentation (7) Nutritional content & Price (7) Pastry (28) Mincemeat (20) Satisfaction Level (7)
"Probably slightly harsh and think expectations for M&S were too high which is why I'm left slightly underwhelmed"
Tester 3
Presentation (7) Nutritional content & Price (7) Pastry (28) Mincemeat (26) Satisfaction Level (7)
"A good pie."

OVERALL

75.75 / 100

Look at where these fit in on our leader board.
(Don't forget to follow us on twitter @TheMincePieBlog and on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment